Sunday, May 4, 2014

Run 1: lesson in heat, part 1

I got fitted for my first pair of running shoes yesterday - the first rite of passage for any runner.  It was an added bonus that all of the shoes I had to choose from came in great colors.

I swear, I didn't plan this.
Los Angeles is on the end of a heat wave (90+ temps this past week) and yesterday was no exception.  While I was running on the treadmill so the guys at Runnergy could watch my gait, I definitely broke a sweat.  I'd like to blame it on the heat wave, but the truth is I haven't run in MONTHS, so once I decided on a pair (Sauconys, repping the East Coast - woo woo!) I also decided I'd get up this morning and go for a run.  A short run.  REAL short.

Since I haven't run in months, I decided easing into it with Active's Couch-to-5k app would be the best option to get used to the habit of running.  I realized I could run RunKeeper to track my progress, Couch-to-5k for the play-by-play coaching, and FitRadio (a non-stop playlist) all at the same time, so off I went.  An easy 30 minutes of alternating between jogging and walking.  Easy, right?

Ha.

By 10:15 this morning it was already in the mid to high 70's and, considering I sweat laying on the couch, I hadn't even made it through my warm up walk before I was ready to jump in the pool.  I kept reminding myself that I was only running for a half an hour and I could make it through half an hour of sweating, but the first mile was rough.  In the past, running any length of time has caused a burning sensation in my calves and almost always shin splints, but after a good 2 or 3 minutes that totally eased away.  Could it be because I'm in proper shoes?  (Answer: tentative yes.)

By the time I started my last jog, I actually felt like this running thing wasn't that terrible.  Sure, I was a little out of breath, and I was definitely sweating like I had run a marathon, and I really just wanted to stop and eat a cheeseburger, but it wasn't THAT bad.

I definitely yelled a victory whoop when I saw this (and then got a really weird stare from one of my neighbors):
Definitely my favorite part of running.
Total run was 2.25 miles over roughly 34 minutes.  With an average pace of 15 mi per minute, I have a loooong way to go.  But this run wasn't that bad, and might I even say, mildly enjoyable?

Sweaty, but smiling!


One run down.  Many, many more to go.

Run: 1
Mileage: 2.25 mi
Total time: 34:23 min

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get Adobe Flash player